• en
  • ru
  • zh-hans
  • it

Landlord Negligence

All landlords including local councils have a responsibility to make sure that the property they are letting is safe for their tenants to live in. Where a defect has been reported, it should be immediately dealt with to ensure no-one is injured.

Injuries can occur in many different ways. Our lawyers have dealt with a range of different cases, from faulty electrics or negligent wiring, slips caused by leaks, uneven carpets, unsafe stairways causing people to fall down stairs and unstable buildings.

A landlord has a duty of care to tenants. The Landlord and Tenant Act 1987 provides that any landlord wishing to dispose of his interest in a building containing two or more flats must first offer its interest to the ‘qualifying tenants’ ie, broadly speaking, the tenants with long leases. If the landlord fails to do so, he/she will be committing a criminal offence.

What are landlords responsible for?

  • the structure and exterior of the building, including the walls, stairs and bannisters, roof, external doors and windows;
  • sinks, baths, toilets and other sanitary fittings, including pipes and drains;
  • heating and hot water;
  • chimneys and ventilation; and
  • electrical wiring.

How much can I sue my landlord for?

Most ‘tenant Vs landlord’ issues are resolved through the small claims courts. Claimants (tenants) can use the procedure to recover unpaid bills, rents or refunds of rental deposits for property for a sum under £10,000 (or £1,000 if it is about personal injury or housing disrepair).

What can I claim for?

You can make a claim for compensation if repair problems in your home:

  • made you or someone in your household ill;
  • damaged your belongings; or
  • caused you inconvenience.

If you or your family member have been involved in an accident in your own rented home or even in someone else’s home and you were injured, then you may be entitled to make a landlord negligence claim. Landlord negligence cases are usually easy to prove if you have suffered personal injury.

At Bloomsbury Law, we have expert lawyers who are capable of dealing with such matter quickly so you may be compensated adequately and as soon as possible. The service we offer is tailored to your needs, and no matter how minor or serious your injury is, we are happy to help.

What do I do next?

If you are a tenant suing your landlord for personal injury, contact us online or speak to one of our dedicated landlord negligence UK solicitors on 0207 998 7777 for a free initial consultation. With our vast experience in the field, our team will work with you to ensure this process runs as smooth as possible. All information you provide us with is treated with the utmost confidentiality.

We will contact you no later than the next working day to arrange a meeting at our offices in London W1 to advise on the agreement.

Back to Clinical Negligence

Personal Injury Services

Other Legal Services