• en
  • ru
  • zh-hans
  • it


Many people seeking to end their marriage will opt to have an annulment instead of a divorce. Common reasons for this approach are usually for religious purposes or for the fact that you do not have to wait for a year to receive an annulment.

Marriage annulment (sometimes referred to in this country as annulment UK) is a declaration that the marriage was not legally valid. An application for marriage annulment should usually be claimed within three years. Applicants should apply to the courts with a nullity petition. In this petition you must either prove that your marriage was void or voidable.

After this, the other person should reply within eight days. If they agree, then you can apply for decree nisi. This is a statement by the courts confirming the date when the marriage will end. Six weeks after receiving your decree nisi, you can apply for the decree absolute which is the legal document which ends your marriage. If your husband or wife does not agree, the process can become very drawn out and require much more evidence.

At Bloomsbury Law, we appreciate that marriage and annulments are part and parcel of circumstances unique to every case. If you have questions and are seeking advice on annulments, please get in contact with our family law team and we will advise you according.

What do I do next?

Contact us online or speak to one of our dedicated top family law solicitors on 0207 998 7777 for a free initial consultation. With our vast experience in the field, our team will work with you to ensure this process runs as smooth as possible. All information you provide us with is treated with the utmost confidentiality.

We can provide you with clear, focused advice combined with a sympathetic understanding. In order to minimise the emotional and financial impact we will always act in your best interest and try to take a conciliatory approach. We will however, take a firm stance where this is necessary in order to obtain the best possible outcome for you.

We will contact you no later than the next working day to arrange a meeting at our offices in London W1 to advise on the agreement.

Other Family Law Services

Other Legal Services