• en
  • ru
  • zh-hans
  • it

Spouse Visa UK

A UK Spouse Visa is one of the many types of settlement visas. It allows those married to an individual settled in the UK to apply for a visa to live and work freely within the UK. In order to prove that a couple has a legitimate marriage, they must provide evidence that they have met, that they are living together, and are legally married.

The probation period awarded to EEA national Spouse Visas is 5 years, while UK citizen Spouse Visas are 2 years and 6 months. After the probation period expires, the Applicant can then extend the visa. After 5 years of living in the UK with their partner, the applicant can then apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain.

It is possible for unmarried couples to attain a visa through what is called an unmarried partner visa. The unmarried partner visa can be granted if the unmarried couple can prove a history of 2 years akin to marriage in the UK. This has a probationary period of 2 years for partners which are British Citizens, and 5 years for partners which are EEA nationals.

If you have made a Spousal Application in the past and your relationship has deteriorated before your probation period, you need to seek immediate legal advice. There are several ways to exercise your rights to remain within the UK. However, these rights do not automatically apply as not everyone has the ability to exercise these rights.

If you have had a Spouse or Unmarried Couple Visa and your relationship has deteriorated due to domestic violence, it is crucial that you contact one of our solicitors straight away. Our domestic violence solicitors will be able to offer you fast confidential advice in order to help you. Domestic violence in the UK is illegal and our team of specialists will work with you to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain. Please call our specialists as soon as you can in order to not let domestic violence adversely affect your immigration status.

If you are looking to make a Spousal Application, it is important to know that it may affect all other applications which you make in the UK. Thus, we strongly advise that you seek legal advice as early as possible to ensure a successful application.

What do I do next?

Contact us online or speak to one of our dedicated specialists on 0207 998 7777 for a free initial consultation. With our vast experience in the field, our bilingual speaking team will work with you to ensure this process runs as smooth as possible. All information you provide us with is treated with the utmost confidentiality.

We will contact you no later than the next working day to arrange a meeting at our offices in London W1 to advise on the agreement.

Back to Immigration

Other Legal Services