Prisoner Categorisation

Prison categorization should take place in accordance with the length of your sentence. If you were sentenced with more than two years to serve, the reviews should take place annually from the date you were sentenced. If you have two years or less to serve, the review should take place every six months. You will want the best chance of being de-categorised and therefore, representations can improve your chances of re-categorisation.

If a prisoner receives their prisoner categorisation papers and is not happy with the content, that is, the Wing or Security Report, then representations should be submitted to explain this and clarify the position. Legal Aid is not available for categorisation reviews so give yourself the best chance of re-categorisation and contact us for further information.

If a prisoner is not happy with their categorisation decision, you can appeal it within 28 days. We can draft and submit representations once we have obtained a copy of the categorisation decision. We cannot guarantee that every appeal will be successful so we will ask the prisoner to explain their individual circumstances in writing before we decide whether an appeal is a realistic option for you.

At Bloomsbury Law, we appreciate this may be a stressful process. This is why we work on a case-by-case basis in order to serve you with the best advice for your circumstance. If you are seeking legal advice about categorization, please get in contact with our team of specialists. We will listen to your circumstance, answer any enquiries you may have and advise you accordingly once we have been instructed.

What do I do next?

Contact us online or speak to one of our dedicated specialists on 0207 998 7777 for a free initial consultation. With our vast experience in the field, our bilingual speaking team will work with you to ensure this process runs as smooth as possible. All information you provide us with is treated with the utmost confidentiality.

We will contact you no later than the next working day to arrange a meeting at our offices in London W1 to advise on the agreement.

Back to Prison Law

Back to Criminal Defence

Other Legal Services