The property market has reinvented itself over the past few years to reassure people when selling their homes that they understand what steps are being taken. Despite all the potential gains that can be made from selling property, it is important to not ignore the potential pitfalls that you could easily face if you do not take due caution. Selling a property typically takes up to 3 months and can take much longer if necessary arrangements are not made correctly.
When selling a residential property, there are the following important steps:
- Sellers must provide an Energy Performance Certificate for the property;
- If an Estate Agent is being used, all offers must be made through the Estate Agents;
- The seller must draw up the legal contract to transfer ownership once the buyer’s offer has been accepted;
- This offer is not legally binding until contracts are exchanged and remains subject to contract; and
- The buyer may have to pay Stamp Duty Land Tax depending on the amount of the purchase price.
Although the above list may seem daunting, we can assure you that with our assistance it will go as smooth as possible. These steps are in place to secure your rights and help you through the process.
If you are seeking advice on selling your property, please feel free to give us a call so we can discuss your options and advise you accordingly.
What do I do next?
Contact us online or speak to one of our experienced property lawyers on 0207 998 7777 for a free initial consultation. With our vast experience in the field, our team will work with you to ensure this process runs as smooth as possible. All information you provide us with is treated with the utmost confidentiality.
We will contact you no later than the next working day to arrange a meeting at our offices in London W1 to advise on the agreement.